Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Soldier



This is Chris Murray. In this video he mentions obedience, discipline, and self-control. Something I enjoy about Murray is that he has a soldier-like mind-set (by the way, he's about to go to boot camp so it fits him). This is a good thing..."let us endure hardships as a good SOLDIER of Christ Jesus. No one engaged in warfare gets entangled with civilian pursuits that he might please Him who enlisted him as a SOLDIER"--2 Timothy 2:3-4. Soldiers understand that it will not be easy...so they learn to endure hardships. Too often we crumble and give up when it gets hard. "You must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God". Being a soldier is not just a feel-good-fest as many feel-good-preachers would have you believe...NO! You must fight! And it will get hard!

Am I a soldier of the cross? A follower of the Lamb? And shall I dare to own His cause or blush to speak His name?
Should I be carried to the skies on flowery beds of ease, while others fought to win the prize and sailed through bloody seas?
Are there no foes for me to face, shall I not stem the flood? Is this vile world a friend of grace to bring me on to God?
Sure I must fight, if I would reign. Increase my courage Lord. I'll bear the toil, endure the pain, supported by Thy word!

A soldier is not entangled in civilian pursuits! He is not entangled with the affairs of this life. His life is consumed with training and fighting, training and fighting, training and fighting. So he has no interest nor time for the things of this world.

In Philemon, Paul addresses Archippus as his "fellow soldier" (Philemon 2). Do we see ourselves this way? Are you training? Read the word, memorize the word, study the word! It will equip you to fight (2 Tim 3:16-17). Are you fighting? "Fight the good fight of faith"! Are you fighting well? "I do not fight as one beating the air"... so then, it is possible to fight badly. In other words, your fighting but your not landing your blows. "I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should become disqualified". Are you preaching the gospel? Are you making disciples? What I mean is: Are you making soldiers for Christ? Are you making soldiers for Christ who become equipped to make more soldiers for Christ? Lord,help us to fight!! Are you praying in the Spirit?---Ephesians 6:18 ( the context on this verse is war against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places). Are you pulling down strongholds, and casting down arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of Christ (2 Cor 10:3-6)? Are you prepared for that? Lord, make us soldiers!

Pray for me, that I would be a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

PS: Satan, who hates you, wants to steal, kill, and destroy your ability to fight and your effectiveness in fighting. How could he be trying to do that in your life? Too busy? Not training? Light training? Depending on your flesh (usually revealed by a lack of prayer in my life)?

No comments:

Post a Comment